How to get a Pan Card
PAN Card is a card with Permanent Account Number provided by the income tax department in India. Pan Card has a 10 digit alphanumeric number.
Why apply for a Pan Card?
PAN Card Number is compulsory for filing the return of income and for all dealings with income tax department in India.
PAN number should be quoted in the documents
- for purchase and sale of property or motor vehicles in cash
- amounts exceeding Rs. 25,000/-to hotels and restaurants
- for making fixed deposit exceeding Rs. 50,000/- with a Bank or Post Office
- depositing cash of Rs. 50,000/- or more in a Bank.
How to get a PAN card?
To get a New PAN card, submit a PAN card application in form 49A. Download the PAN card application form from Income Tax department website or get the application forms from IT PAN Service Centers in various cities like New Delhi, Bangalore, Mumbai, Chennai, Pune, Hyderabad, Ahmedabad, Gurgaon, Kolkatta etc or TIN Facilitation Centers in different parts of India.
Submit the following with filled PAN application form
- Stamp Size colour photograph (3.5 cms x 2.5 cms)
- Application fees of Rs Rs.60 plus service Tax
- Documents to prove “identity” and “address proof”
After submitting the PAN card form, you will be receive a PAN card acknowledgment with a number. With this number you can track PAN Card status.
You can check the PAN Card status after 3 days through
- the link: Know my Pan in NSDL-TIN
- NSDL Call Centre – 022- 24994650
- Call Aykar Sampark Kendra -0124- 2438000.
Now you can also check PAN Card status by sending SMS to 53030 with message containing PAN and 15-digit PAN acknowledgement number provided at the time of submission of PAN application form. Eg: If your PAN acknowledgement number is 987654321067890. SMS PAN 987654321067890 to 53030.
After 15 days or more you will get your PAN Card with number by post.Carefully, keep your PAN card in a safe place since you can only have one PAN card. Even if your address changes, your PAN card number will be the same.If there are mistakes in your PAN card you can apply again for correction.
For more about PAN card enquiry or for details visit the website of Income tax department.