How to do Mobile Number Portability
Now you can switch your mobile service provider keeping your old number. Now you can switch any of the mobile operators and change to AIRTEL, BSNL, DOCOMO, AIRCEL, IDEA by just paying a minimal fee. Many of the mobile operators are giving special offers to woo the new customers. Now you have the freedom to choose.Here is the what you need to know everything about mobile number portability (MNP).
How to do Mobile number Portability?
1. Send an SMS to 1900 in the following format: PORT – eg. PORT 9999999999.
2 .You will get an SMS reply that contains a unique porting code.
3. SMS to the preferred operator quoting the unique code. This code is valid only for a few days, and if it expires you must apply again.
4. The subscriber will need to apply in the prescribed application form to the chosen new service provider quoting the UPC which will act as a reference while filling up the application form with new service provider.
5. Your existing operator will verify with the new operator whether the customer have any dues. If there is no due the existing operator will give approval for porting.
6. You will get an SMS on the time and date when porting will take place. Rules mandate that the process be completed within 7 working days of applying.
7. Once the porting is complete, you will get an SMS from your new operator confirming the change. However while porting takes place, your phone may be dead for about 2 hours.
8. MNP service can be opted for by both GSM and CDMA subscribers and also pre-paid and post-paid customers.
9. Customers can also switch over to GSM service to CDMA or vice-versa if they want.
10. Portability is possible only within the circle and not outside. This means, if you are a mobile subscriber in Bangalore, you can opt for switching over to a new service provider only in Bangalore not in Chennai or Mumbai.
11. The cost of porting a number to a new operator is Rs 19 which will be collected by your new service operator.
12. Customers will have to remain with the new operator for three months and only then go in for another service provider.
13. Post-paid subscribers, before making the porting request, have to make sure that their last bill has been paid failing which the request for change to new a service provider shall be rejected.
14. In the case of pre-paid subscribers, any balance amount left will not be carried forward when the number is transferred to the new service provider.
Source: Deccan Herald